CM Punk and Luke Gallows came out. Punk ripped on the crowd for making and breaking New Year’s resolutions. He led the crowd in a pledge of being straight edged. Major heat. He was like a minister. He said next week he’d save a member of the audience. He said he’d beat Undertaker at the Royal Rumble for the belt.
Matt Hardy came out for a Beat the Clock Challenge match against Punk. The winner of the beat the clock challenge will get a title match against Undertaker at the Royal Rumble pay-per-view.
1. C.M. Punk defeated Matt Hardy in 7:20 in a Beat the Clock Challenge. Gallows attacked Hardy after the match.
The other Beat The Clock Challenge matches will be Kane vs. Dolph Ziggler, Batista vs. R-Truth, and Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio.
2. Kane vs Dolph Ziggler ended in a no contest. Time expired so Punk still leads. Ziggler had Kane in a submission hold when the clock expired. Afterward, Ziggler hit his finisher and left Kane lying. Poor Kane.
3. The Great Khali squashed The Carolina Panther (in a non-challenge match). Khali won in about 30 seconds using double handed chokeslam. The Panther wore a Carolina Panthers jersey. Agahzi questioned whether it was actually Bryan Danielson.
Powell’s POV: Here’s hoping Khali will squash the Chicago Bear next week to make me feel a little better.
4. Drew McIntyre defeated John Morrison by DQ. Drew threw Morrison into the referee for the DQ. The ref thought Morrison hit him on purpose and called for the bell. They had a pull apart brawl afterward.
5. Mickie James defeated Beth Phoenix. Michelle McCool accidentally kicked Beth, and Mickie rolled her up. Mickie and Beth attacked Michelle and Layla afterward. It looked like Mickie and Beth were on the same page, but then Beth gave Mickie the Glam Slam.
Jericho came out and cut a promo on the crowd and vowed to be champion again in 2010.
6. Rey Mysterio beat Chris Jericho in a Beat The Clock Challenge. After a 619, Jericho reversed the West Coast Pop into the Codebreaker. Rey came back with a small package and won the match with one second left to beat CM Punk’s time. Great, great seven minutes from these two. 7:19 is the new time to beat.
7. The Hart Dynasty beat Jimmy Wang Yang, Slam Master J and Maria. The Divas didn’t actually wrestle, but Natalya put Maria in the Sharpshooter after the match.
8. Batista was unable to defeat R-Truth before the time limit expired in a Beat the Clock Challenge match. Batista had him beat with five seconds left. Rey, who watched from ringside, pulled the ref out before he could count to three. The potential DQ would have been past the allowed time, so Rey was announced as the No. 1 contender.
Vickie came out. She said cheating isn’t allowed, and added that since we wouldn’t have known who really won the clock challenge, there will be a No. 1 contenders match between Rey and Batista on next week’s show.
Thanks to ProWrestling.net